Zoning & Environmental Services

Zoning and Environmental Services

The Zoning and Environmental Services Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. The toll free number within the 218 area code is 1-800-862-3760 (extension 176). Our local phone number is 218-384-9176 and our fax number is 218-384-9121.

The mission of the Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services Department is to protect and enhance Carlton County's quality of life, environment, and growth by providing the citizens of Carlton County with comprehensive planning, efficient ordinance enforcement, courteous technical assistance and public forums.

Planning and Zoning: Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services is the zoning authority for all areas of Carlton County except the following cities and townships: City of Barnum, City of Carlton, City of Cloquet, City of Cromwell, City of Kettle River, City of Moose Lake, City of Thomson, Thomson Township, City of Wrenshall and City of Wright. Carlton County also has zoning authority in shoreland areas (property within 1,000 feet of a lake or 300 feet of a river or stream) in the City of Cromwell and Thomson Township. Zoning permits are required for all structures, regardless of size.

Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems: The Zoning and Environmental Services Office administers Carlton County Ordinance #30 Subsurface Sewage Treatment Systems county-wide. A permit shall be obtained whenever any subsurface sewage system is installed, replaced, altered, repaired or extended. Compliance inspections are required for subsurface sewage treatment systems at point-of-sale or permit application in shoreland areas.

Shoreland: Filling, grading, excavating and vegetation removal on shoreland property requires a land alteration permit if the activity that you are planning exceeds certain limits.Contact the Zoning and Environmental Services Office for permit thresholds.

Wetlands: Carlton County administers the Wetland Conservation Act in all of Carlton County, except for the City of Wright and the City of Cloquet. A permit may be required for work in wetlands. Contact the Zoning and Environmental Services Office for permit requirements.

Solid Waste and Recycling: The Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services Office operates the Transfer Station, Household Hazardous Waste Facility and recycling sheds. We have programs for the collection and disposal or recycling of unwanted medication, textiles, Christmas lights and trees, medical sharps, used oil and oil filters, appliances, tires, electronics and mattresses.

Well Water Analysis: The Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services Office analyzes for coliform bacteria, nitrate, iron and hardness.

Local Water Management Plan: Carlton County Zoning and Environmental Services Office is responsible for the implementation of the Carlton County Comprehensive Local Water Management Plan 2010-2020. The purpose of the plan is to provide the citizens of Carlton County, local government, state agencies and federal agencies with a strategic framework to manage its water and land resources. Several grants are directly tied to this plan.

Office Contacts
County Ordinances and Plans
Zoning Information
Subsurface Sewage Treatment Information
Shoreland Information
Wetland Information
Solid Waste and Recycling Information
Well Water Analysis Information
Local Water Management Plan
Fee Schedule



   2013 Carlton County, MN. All rights reserved      Contact Carlton County Webmaster