Public Health &
      Human Services
     Financial Assistance

Financial and Health Care Assistance

Carlton County’s Financial Assistance Department is responsible for administering public assistance programs that are funded by Federal, State, and County dollars. Financial Assistance workers are responsible for ensuring accurate determination of benefits as well as timely issuance of benefits to eligible Carlton County citizens.

Eligibility for some programs start on the date the county agency receives a completed application or healthcare request. Some medical programs can provide coverage going back 3 months in the past but others may start on the day you apply or future months. Therefore it is important to apply for assistance as soon as you think you may need help. In some instances, hospitals may submit a request for healthcare assistance form on your behalf to set the date of eligibility. In these instances our agency will send you an application along with a notice telling you what you need to do to complete the application process.

Bridge to Benefits is a free website that helps connect struggling families across the state to important benefits that can lift them out of poverty and help them gain economic stability.
Visit for more information

"This institution is an equal opportunity provider."


Patti Hart
Elderly & Disabled
Financial & Healthcare Assistance

Kathy Benson
Financial and Healthcare Assistance

14 N 11th Street
Cloquet, MN 55720
316 Elm Avenue
Moose Lake, MN 55767

Walk-in Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday 10:00am until 2:00pm
Thursday 12:30pm until 2:00pm
Walk-ins are welcome on Fridays when there is an emergency situation.

Limited English Proficiency Plan
Cash Assistance Programs Minnesota Health Care Programs
Food Support Program Emergency Assistance Program
Child Care Assistance Links and other Resources

Cash Assistance Programs

These programs help eligible families on the road to self-sufficiency by supporting work efforts for those able to work.

General Assistance – Provides financial help to those persons not eligible for MFIP or MSA. This is generally for persons between the age of 18 and 65 who are unable to work. Emergency General Assistance is also available under this program.

MFIP (Minnesota Family Investment Program) – Provides financial assistance to families with dependent children. This may include both parents. MFIP began in January of 1998. This program is time limited with a 60-month lifetime limits. Emergency assistance may also be provided under this program.

DWP ( Diversionary Work Program) – is a short-term, work focused program for families applying for cash benefits and who are not eligible for MFIP.

MSA (Minnesota Supplemental Aid) – Provides financial assistance for persons over 65, blind or disabled. This program also provides for emergency needs and special needs.

GRH (Group Residential Housing) – State-funded program providing at a minimum room and board for eligible people living in a licensed or registered group living arrangement.

Minnesota Health Care Programs

These programs help eligible families with their health care needs.

MA (Medical Assistance) – Due to the Affordable Care Act, many MA applicants should apply online through the MNsure Health Care Exchange at  MNsure is a new marketplace where Minnesotans can find, compare, choose, and get quality health care coverage that best fits their needs and budget.

The following MA applicants do NOT need to apply through the MNsure Health Care Exchange, but instead complete a paper application which can be dropped off at the county of residence:

People applying for long term care services, including nursing home or assisted living services may apply using the MN Health Care Programs Application for Payment of Long Term Care Services (DHS 3531).

Women applying for MA for Breast or Cervical Cancer (MA BC) must use the MN Health Care Programs Application for Breast and Cervical Cancer Coverage Group (DHS 3525).

People applying for coverage of family planning services and supplies only may continue to apply, using the MN Family Planning Program Appliation (DHS 4740).

Seniors with Medicare coverage do not need to use MNsure. If you have questions please call the Senior LinkAge Line at l-800-333-1133.

MinnesotaCare - A state-subsidized health care program for people who live in Minnesota and don’t have health insurance. Like other health insurance plans, MinnesotaCare provides coverage for many medical expenses.  Apply through

QMB/SLMB - These programs can help people pay for their Medicare Part A and B premiums, Medicare deductibles, and Medicare co-insurance and co-payments.

Food Support Program - SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

This program provides assistance with food costs for all individuals or families who qualify. Please refer to the Department of Human Services Website at for the current income and asset guidelines.

Emergency Assistance Program

Programs are available for eligible families, single adults, or married adults with no children who are in an emergency situation such as an eviction or utility shut-off. Emergency funds will only be issued if the emergency will be resolved.

EA (Emergency Crisis Funds) – Limited funds available for families with a dependent child or children. A family can only receive emergency crisis funds once in an 18 month period. Applicants must show they have spent a certain percentage of their income from the last 60 days on basic needs in order to qualify.

EGA (Emergency General Assistance) – Available in a limited amount to single adults who qualify. Emergency assistance can be received only once in a 12 month period. Applicants must show how they have spent their income from the last 60 days to qualify.

Child Care Assistance

Helps with the cost of child care for eligible families using approved child care providers.

Child Care Fund Plan for 2012 & 2013

If you are looking for information on Child Care in the Carlton County Area please use the Child Care Resource and Referral Network of Minnesota. Their phone number is 1-800-890-5399 or visit their website at

The Minnesota Child Care Resource and Referral Network helps families find child care and understand their care options, supports child care providers through grants and education and informs the community on the importance of child care.  

Financial and Healthcare Assistance Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I apply for assistance?
You have 2 options.

14 N 11th Street
Cloquet, MN 55720
316 Elm Avenue
Moose Lake, MN 55767
Cloquet Walk-in Hours:

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday
10:00am until 2:00pm and
Thursday 12:30pm until 2:00pm
Walk-ins are welcome on Fridays when there is an emergency situation.
Moose Lake Walk-in Hours:

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday
10:00am until 2:00pm and
Thursday 12:30pm until 2:00pm
Walk-ins are welcome on Fridays when there is an emergency situation.

How do I qualify for assistance?
Each program has a set of income and asset rules. Because each person’s circumstances vary, it is hard to determine eligibility without the details. An application needs to be completed to determine what you qualify for. For income and asset guidelines for medical, cash, and food support programs you can refer to the Department of Human Services website at

What should I bring to the interview when I apply?
You need identification such as a driver’s license, Minnesota ID, Tribal ID, or social security number. Some programs require proof of citizenship. We may also ask for proof of income (both earned and unearned), proof of assets such as bank accounts, certificates of deposit, bonds, life insurance policies, vehicles, real estate, burial agreements, and any other assets. We may ask for health insurance information as well. The application process can take up to 2 hours or more but generally is less than that.

What should I do if I suspect someone is fraudulently receiving assistance?
If you suspect someone is misusing or abusing Minnesota Assistance programs, you can call the toll-free 24-hour hotline at 1-800-627-9977 or Carlton County Financial Assistance Supervisors at 218-878-2523 or 218-878-2502.

Links/Other Resources

To access forms, income and asset guidelines for cash, medical, and food support programs

Department of Human Services Web Payment Service

Minnesota RX Connect
Compare prescription drug prices

Healthcare Member Help Desk
Questions about medical co-pays or coverage

Lakes and Pines
Assistance with housing costs, energy housing, early childhood education and family development.

Senior Linkage Line
Assists senior citizens and disabled individuals connect to area services. Also provides assistance with Medicare Part D issues.

Disability Linkage Line
Disability Linkage Line provides Information, Assistance and Referral to persons with disabilities, family members and others to find needed resources,
programs & information
Monday-Friday, 8:30-5:00 throughout Minnesota..

Minnesota Help Info
Statewide directory of community services

Legal Aid
Provides legal services for individuals over 60 years old or individuals with low income.

Domestic Abuse Project
1-218-348-1817 Crisis Line

MN Gambling Problem Hotline

Carlton County Public Health & Human Services is about strengthening families, protecting our children and our seniors, offering hope to those in crisis and making our community a stronger, safer & healthier place for all of us to live.

   ©2014 Carlton County, MN. All rights reserved      Contact Carlton County Webmaster