Public Health &
      Human Services
Adult Social Services

Adult Social Services

Carlton County Public Health and Human Service's Adult Social Services staff provides services that include chemical use assessments, case management, for individuals with chemical or mental health related issues and chemical dependency treatment services for income eligible adults or adolescents.  Vulnerable adult services include investigation of maltreatment reports and adult protections services.  Guardianship, conservatorship or court commitment services are provided if needed.


Adult Social Services

14 N 11th Street
Cloquet, MN 55720

When calling, please ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Adult Protection Chemical Dependency Services
Adult Mental Health Links & other Resources


Adult Protection

The Adult Protection team provides assessment and protective social services for the purpose of preventing maltreatment including abuse, neglect, financial exploitation, and to safeguard the welfare of the maltreated vulnerable adult.

A Carlton County case manager can determine eligibility based on assessment information. There are no fees for case management services. The primary services provided by a case manager include intake, assessment, information and referral, and case management. The purpose of case management is to help locate and coordinate daily living activities, medical, and other services required to meet the specific needs of the individual.

The vulnerable adult is a person 18 years of age or older who is:

At risk due to mental and/or physical impairments and potentially unable to care for themselves and live independently.

Any adult who lives and/or receives services from a licensed facility.

Related services may include, case planning, consultation, crisis intervention, providing intake for maltreatment reports, investigation of vulnerable adult maltreatment reports, and commitment guardianship/conservatorship.

Adult Mental Health

The Mental Health Team of Carlton County provides assessment, intake, information and referral, and case management for adults with mental health issues. A Carlton County case manager can determine eligibility based on assessment. There are no fees for case management services.

Mental Health problems may include:

Bipolar disorder

Major depression


Borderline personality disorder

Acute/situational depression

Related services may include, case planning, consultation, crisis intervention, legal commitments, guardianship/conservatorship, and facilitate hospitalization and other placements.

Chemical Dependency Services

Chemical dependency services are offered to people in need of an evaluation of drug and alcohol use and is a referral source for multiple services in the area. For questions regarding chemical dependency services available, please call Carlton County’s Adult Social Services at: (218) 879-4511.

Chemical Dependency Programs Available

* Consolidated Chemical Dependency Treatment Fund
* Rule 25 Assessments to determine the degree of abuse or dependency
* Financial assistance for treatment may be available
* Civil commitments, guardianships/conservatorship
* Facilitation of treatment placements
* Case management services
* Client advocacy
* Follow-up planning

Links & other Resources
Liberalis Women’s Treatment Center (218) 384-4106
Mash-Ka-Wisen Treatment Center (218) 879-6731
The Haven In Cloquet (218) 879-5545
The Center For Alcohol and Drug Treatment (218) 723-8444
Alcoholics Anonymous Central Intergroup Office (218) 727-8117
Alcoholics Anonymous Referral Service
and Addictions Treatment Center

Carlton County Public Health & Human Services is about strengthening families, protecting our children and our seniors, offering hope to those in crisis and making our community a stronger, safer & healthier place for all of us to live.


   ©2014 Carlton County, MN. All rights reserved      Contact Carlton County Webmaster